Thursday, November 25, 2010

Grandfather's Clock



This is an instrumental cover of a song called "Grandfather's Clock." Originally written around the turn of the century, the song has since become a bluegrass standard. I first came across this song on the album Tone Poems by Tony Rice and David Grisman. It has a really warm, soothing and evocative feel to it and reminds me of crisp winter days in Colorado, relaxing next to a fire. It also sort of reminds me of music that I'd hear around the holidays (both Thanksgiving and Christmas).

I chose this song because it gave me a chance to practice the Mandolin against a simple plucked guitar backdrop. I particularly like the tremolo effect on the Mandolin, and this song uses it throughout.

Hope you enjoy - and have a great Thanksgiving!

No comments: